Seems every week you read another story about people stealing copper wire in Houston. They are stealing it from construction sites, apartments, and places of business. On November the 8th, One thief was even killed will trying to steal it from an electrical sub station. CenterPoint energy reports that every $100 in copper wire scored by thieves can cost up to $5,000 to repair. Not to mention the down time that the businesses experience while trying to get power restored.
There are several deterrents that you can use to try to prevent the copper wires from being stolen:
- Have the property assessed by a licensed Electrician. They can often make service entrance connections harder to penetrate by securing the wires in metal conduit.
- Install security cameras. This makes thieves take a second look before they act!
- Hire a Houston Security Company and post armed guards on the property. When your talking about thousands of dollars in wire being stolen, guards can provide a cost effective short term solution.
- Make sure construction job sites are secured in the evenings.
- Never leave copper wires exposed- the temptation is too great!
If you have been a victim of Copper Theft in the great Houston area please call Centron Security for a security consultation.
Please call Jeffery Singletary at 281-664-1297. You can call Jeffery anytime, 24-hours a day.