Thieves stole nearly 10,000 feet of copper wire from two parks in La Marque a few weeks ago, prior to that it was the Brake Check in Houston, prior to that it was Caliber Collision on the North Side. Seems like every day you are hearing more stories about copper thieves getting away with lots of cooper which is costing local businesses big bucks! As reported by the Galveston Daily News, nearly 9,000 feet of copper wire was taken from Highland Bayou Park, said La Marque Mayor Bobby Hocking. It could cost as much as $60,000 to replace, he said. Another 300 feet to 600 feet of wire was stolen from Mahan Park, said La Marque Detective Shelby Samuelson. “Who ever did it, they knew what they were doing,” Hocking said. The burglars cut the wire that connected to a high-voltage box and then disassembled 14 meter boxes and cut the wires there as well, Samuelson said. They then likely used a vehicle to pull the copper wiring from the ground, he said. It’s an old electrician’s trick, he said. “You can’t pull it by hand,” Samuelson said. “You need something with torque.”The thieves also took the copper wiring from a lift station at the park, Hocking said. He said the city has already replaced and fixed that. Insurance will cover some of the $60,000 to replace the writing, but the city could still end up paying around $25,000 to $30,000, he said.Replacing the stolen wire will have to be added to the work, he said.
All this makes you wonder what you can do to prevent becoming a victim of copper thieves.
Here are a few ideas to keep from becoming a victim yourself:
- Have the property assessed by a licensed electrical contractor. They can often make service entrance connections harder to penetrate by securing the wires in metal conduit.
- Install security cameras. This makes thieves take a second look before they act!
- Light up all outdoor areas. Dusk to dawn lighting works great for this.
- Hire a security company and post guards on the property. When your talking about thousands of dollars in wire being stolen, guards can provide a cost effective short term solution.
- Hire a patrol service to make random patrols. Some visible security is better than nothing.
- Make sure job sites are secured in the evenings; lock doors, gates, and fences.
- Never leave copper wires exposed the temptation is just too much!
If you have been a victim of Copper Theft in the Houston area please call Centron Security for a security consultation. You can reach him at 281-664-1297. You can call Jeffery anytime, 24-hours a day.